|Select the Course Number to get further detail on the course. Select the desired Schedule Type to find available classes for the course.|
|FRLA 8291 - France and MENA region|
This course offers students a focused exploration of key issues that have affected MENA (Middle East and North Africa) in recent history through the present day. France and MENA Region is structured as a learner-centered and collaborative course. We will also address the role of the international community and specifically French policies toward the MENA (Middle East and North Africa) region.
Seven Key Topics for FRLA 8291:
▪ Colonialism/ post-colonialism: Historical Background, Impact on Resource Allocation and Economic Relationships (water, oil, energy, etc.)
▪ Border Control: Issues of Humanitarian Relief and National Security (civil wars, illegal immigration, refugees, arms smuggling, etc.)
▪ Palestinian-Israeli Conflict
▪ The Arab Spring and authoritarian regimes
▪ International interventions in Syria, Iraq and Libya
▪ Islamophobia and Security, Post 9/11
Students will utilize and develop essential skills of reading, writing, speaking, listening and comprehension in the target language, and will learn and apply relevant vocabulary and grammatical concepts.